The NCF 2020 recognises the significance of a multidisciplinary approach to education and suggests various curricular areas that go beyond conventional subject boundaries to provide an inclusive and holistic learning experience. The curricular areas of NCF encourage a well-rounded education that goes beyond content knowledge, fostering critical thinking, social awareness, creativity, and holistic development among learners.
Some of the curricular areas of NCF 2020 include the following:
- Languages: NCF pedagogy emphasises the promotion of competencies in various languages, including the mother tongue or regional language and the additional languages.
- Mathematics: The policy focuses on building mathematical thinking, numerical reasoning skills and problem-solving abilities among students.
- Social Sciences: This curricular area of NCF includes geography, history, political science, economics, and sociology. It encourages a critical understanding of culture, society, politics, and economics, cultivating active citizenship and a worldwide perspective.
- Arts: The pedagogy includes performing arts, visual arts, and crafts in fostering expression, creativity, and aesthetic sensibilities.
- Health and Physical Education: It focuses on encouraging sports, physical fitness, and games, imparting knowledge about nutrition, health, and well-being.
- Career and Vocational Education: It encourages the combination of vocational education within the main curriculum, providing learners with practical skills and empowering them for promising careers and entrepreneurship.